wood frame on construction project


Norfolk County’s Building Department helps to protect you, your home, and the interests of your community by making sure a project is structurally sound and follows the Ontario Building Code, municipal zoning and other applicable laws.

The Building Department handles the permits required for new buildings, additions, renovating or altering existing buildings, plumbing, septic systems, and temporary structures.

The Building Department follows the Ontario Building Code Act and Ontario Building Code to review plans, inspect construction and issue permits and orders.

It’s important to make sure you understand the regulations that may affect your project.

Disclaimer Personal information submitted in e-mails to [email protected] is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection Act, or for the purpose stated on the specific form being submitted through e-mail.  

  The information will be used by the Building Department administration for its intended submitted purpose.  Questions about the collection of personal information through e-mails to the Building Department may be directed to Norfolk County’s

  • Chief Building Official, (185 Robinson Street, Simcoe, ON N3Y 5L6, 519-426-5870 ext. 2218)
  • Information and Privacy Coordinator (50 Colborne Street South, Simcoe ON N3Y 4H3, 519-426-5870 ext. 1261)
  • Please include the contact names on the form that is being submitted.
The Norfolk County Building Department keeps septic records for properties within Norfolk County where a permit has been obtained to complete the work. Building Department records go back to 2006.

The property owner may request a copy of their septic records. The property owner will be asked for proof of identification and a recent tax bill to verify ownership.
address icon
185 Robinson Street, Suite 200. Simcoe, ON N3Y 5L6
telephone icon
519-426-5870 Ext. 6016
Norfolk County is actively monitoring the global outbreak of COVID-19 and taking steps to protect the health and safety of our community. As of March 14, 2022, the Building Department Technical Counter is now open.
Office Hours
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Inspections are being conducted with certain restrictions and appropriate measures taken for social distancing. Options are being considered on a case-by-case basis, as approved by the Chief Building Official. 
For all inquiries general inquiries to the Norfolk County Building Department, please email [email protected]
The Ontario Building Officials Association annually proclaims May as Building Safety Month across Ontario to bring awareness to the public of the Ontario Building Code, the importance in obtaining building permits and the efforts of municipal building officials.  Grand Erie Chapter of OBOA logo May 2022
 Building Safety Month Permit OBOA Building Safety Poster 4E OBOA Building Safety Poster 3E OBOA Building Safety Poster 2E
back to top