Norfolk County’s Organizational Structure
Municipal governments provide public services that meet the needs of their residents. Municipal governments raise most of the money for financing these services from the property taxes paid by residents and businesses, along with funding from other levels of government. Municipalities are governed by municipal councils which make decisions about municipal financing and services. In Ontario, the head of a local (lower or single-tier) municipal council is called the mayor. The members of the council are called councillors.
For information about local government and Ontario’s Municipal Act, please visit Municipal 101 from the Association of Municipalities of Ontario
The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is the manager of the municipality, making important decisions such as planning budgets and managing operations. The Office of the CAO provides strategic direction to the corporation.
- Administers County Council, records, deputations, elections, by-laws and freedom of information requests
- Deals with advertising of job opportunities, hiring of staff, health and safety, employee benefits, making sure staff adhere to company policies
- Offers first response in the event of an emergency
- Provides legal advice, council to members of staff, management and council on various decisions and outcomes within the corporation
- Human Resources
- Norfolk County Fire Services
- Norfolk County Paramedic Services
Norfolk County’s Community Development Division serves the citizens and businesses of Norfolk in a variety of ways.
- Develops and plans programs and activities that encourage participation and community involvement to help citizens live well
- Promotes Norfolk County as a travel destination and to attract business and investment
- Builds a foundation so the community can grow and enhance prosperity and quality of life for all Norfolk County residents
- Makes recommendations, guides, and regulates community development, including planning and building
- Promotes arts, culture, and the heritage community
- Heritage and Culture
- Strategic Innovation and Economic Development
Corporate Services Division provides a range of services that support county initiatives and address community needs. It:
- Promotes and manages accessibility for our community members, reducing barriers
- Manages procurement of goods, services, and construction for the municipality; maintain systems that provide a cost-effective, transparent, fair, and competitive process
- Manages information technology and supports internal business systems
- Ensures fiscal stewardship, including procurement, tax billing, accounting and budgets
- Provides outward-facing customer service with a focus on supporting Norfolk County divisions and departments
- Provides communications services that ensure that the public has a clear understanding of Norfolk County’s policies, priorities and programs. It provides advice to the County with respect to communications planning and issues management
- Manages the Special Event Application process for special events and activities on designated Norfolk County streets, roads, sidewalks, parks, facilities or other municipally-owned property
- Accessibility and Special Projects
- Corporate Customer Service and Communications
- Financial Management and Planning
- Information Technology
- Purchasing Services
- Realty Services
The Environmental and Infrastructure Services Division provides services for the residents and businesses in Norfolk County, such as:
- Design and construction of various road, bridge, water and wastewater projects
- Delivery of Asset Management Plan and associated capital delivery plan
- Works towards sustainable and cost-effective solutions for residents
- Delivery of the waste management program, including waste collection, recycling, and household hazardous waste
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of water treatment plants, water distribution systems, wastewater treatment facilities, and the wastewater collection system
- Technical expertise in infrastructure planning related to development
- Asset Management
- Environmental Services
- Water and Wastewater Capital
A shared service with Haldimand County, Health and Social Services Division offers a range of services and supports to address the growing and changing needs of our community.
- Offers health promotion programs and services, works with our community partners to promote and protect your health, prevent infectious diseases, and inspect for health hazards.
- Manages financial support programs that can help offset housing costs; connects residents at risk of homelessness with community supports and programs.
- Provides assistance for individuals and families in need; administers financial and employment services, including Ontario Works.
- Manages Norview Lodge, a long-term care facility in Simcoe, Ontario.
- Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit
- Haldimand-Norfolk Social Services and Housing
- Norview Lodge
Norfolk County's Operations Division is responsible for the following functions:
- Oversee the maintenance and repairs of all Norfolk vehicles/machinery/radio communications
- Provide a safe and welcoming environment to all boat operators
- Operates and maintains all municipal administration buildings
- Operates and maintains recreational facilities, parkland, cemeteries, trails and forested lands
- Maintains road surface types, gravel shoulders, signs, guide cable and rail, ditches, culverts, roadside trees, curbs/gutters, storm sewers, catch basins, manholes, sidewalks, street lighting, traffic lights, municipal parking lots and bridges
- Parks (forestry, cemeteries, trails, arenas)