Norfolk County continues to work locally with businesses and organizations that seek our assistance on downtown revitalization efforts. Please stay tuned for opportunities for you to get involved.
In the coming weeks and months, there may be opportunities for volunteers to get involved in activities, initiatives and events in downtown areas of Norfolk County. If you are interested in remaining on the list and exploring these opportunities, click here to select a downtown focus.
If you would like to stay informed about this initiative, please subscribe to our Downtown Revitalization newsletter.
Downtown Simcoe Revitalization
- Oct 31, 2019 – Downtown Revitalization Team met. Minutes.
- Sept 12, 2019 – Downtown Revitalization Team met. Minutes.
- Aug 7, 2019 – Clean Up of Downtown Simcoe planned for 6pm in Kent Street Parking Lot
- July 31, 2019 – Downtown Revitalization Team met. Discussed 2019 plans. Minutes.
- July 2019 – Norfolk County Council agrees to support the Indwell redevelopment of the Norfolk Inn. Donations are also welcome from the general public.
- July 12, 2019 – Food Truck Fridays return to downtown Simcoe.
- July 9, 2019 – Norfolk County Council approves new Strategic Priorities, including focus on downtown revitalization efforts.
- June 11, 2019 – Norfolk County Council approves new Economic Development Strategy, including focus on downtown revitalization efforts.
- Nov 27, 2018 – Downtown Simcoe property on Colborne Street North approved for incentive
- Nov 13, 2018 – Downtown Simcoe property at 44 Argyle Street approved for incentive.
- Nov 2, 2018 – Win This Space awarded to Groundswell Co-working in downtown Simcoe
- Oct 30, 2018 – Downtown Simcoe property at 29 Peel Street approved for incentive.
- Oct 18, 2018 – Sale of Norfolk Inn to create affordable housing and commercial space in downtown Simcoe
- Sept 20, 2018 – Norfolk Popcorn Party organized in conjunction with Routes to Roots Film Festival
- Sept 13, 2018 – Downtown Simcoe property at 22 Norfolk Street South approved for incentive.
- July 23, 2018 – Norfolk County launches Win This Space initiative in downtown Simcoe.
- July 2018 – Food Truck Fridays in downtown Simcoe.
- January 23, 2018 – Norfolk County establishes Urban Renewal Partnership project, focusing on Downtown Simcoe Secondary Plan and other projects. Province of Ontario provides additional funding for downtown revitalization efforts.
January 30, 2015 – Downtown Simcoe businesses met with Norfolk County elected representatives and staff to discuss establishing an action plan for the downtown.
April 9, 2015 – Businesses and County staff / elected representatives undertook walking tour of downtown Simcoe to gather ideas and solutions.
May 5, 2015 – Ideas from walking tour shared and discussed.
August 5, 2015 – Businesses supported Norfolk County preparing an action plan. Staff get to work preparing a document for next year’s budget.
December 1, 2015 – Draft Downtown Master Plan is circulated to businesses and stakeholder groups for feedback. Positive responses and support were received.
January 12, 2016 – Norfolk County Council-in-Committee reviewed a report proposing the development of a Norfolk County Downtown Master Plan.
February 29, 2016 – South Coast Business Coalition informed Council they will be taking a lead role in the revitalization efforts. It is understood that an update will occur in March. Council puts on hold further development of Master Plan.
May 3, 2016 – South Coast Business Coalition made verbal presentation about downtown revitalization to Norfolk County Council-in-Committee. The SCBC offered to take a lead role in the downtown revitalization effort. It has hired a consultant, Jeremy Freiburger of CoBALT Connects. As a result, the development of Norfolk County’s Downtown Master Plan was suspended until the report comes back from the SCBC.
August 5, 2016 – The South Coast Business Coalition asks business owners and employers in Norfolk County to complete a survey to explore ideas related to downtown revitalization.
January 27, 2017 – Norfolk County Council removes funding placeholder from 2017 budget for Downtown Revitalization, awaiting plan from South Coast Business Coalition.
May 29, 2017 – Representative of South Coast Business Coalition made verbal presentation to the Tourism and Economic Development Advisory Board. No written report will be coming forward.
January 23, 2018 – Norfolk County establishes Urban Renewal Partnership project, focusing on Downtown Simcoe Secondary Plan and other projects. Province of Ontario provides additional funding for downtown revitalization efforts.