Provide Deputation / Speak at a Council or Committee Meeting
Watch Council Meetings
Proceedings will be web-streamed on the Norfolk County Website and televised via Eastlink. Members of the public can submit written input or register to speak as a deputation.
Register to Speak
In order to address Council, please pre-register by filling out the Public Hearing/Deputation Form. Complete all the fields and press “Submit”, should you require assistance with the form, please contact the Clerk’s office at 519-426-5870 or 226-NORFOLK ext. 1261
General information about addressing Council:
- Your name and any supplementary materials that you provide will be included in the public record and your name will be listed in the Minutes of the Meeting.
- If you wish to address the Mayor and Council for an item not listed on the agenda, please complete the registration form no later than 12 noon the Tuesday prior to the meeting.
- Deputation Requests respecting matters that are listed on an agenda will be accepted until 12 noon the day prior to the meeting.
- All deputations shall be considered at Council-In-Committee Meetings. No deputations shall be permitted on a Council Agenda unless the matter is time sensitive and related to business on the subject agenda.
- If you are bringing materials to handout at the meeting, please prepare 15 copies for Council and Staff.
If you are joining the meeting in person, you will be provided an approximate time that you will be addressing Council.
If you are joining the meeting virtually:
- You will receive an email with instructions on how to join the meeting the day before the meeting.
- You must be available to join or phone into the meeting sometime between 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm on the day of the meeting. You will be provided a general timeframe to join.
- The Chair will call on you when it is your turn to speak, and you will be connected to the meeting.
- You will have one opportunity, up to 5 minutes, to provide your comments.
Helpful tips to follow when presenting before Council meeting:
Please remember that you have only 5 minutes to make your presentation to Council, which will be followed by any questions Council may have.
When presenting before Council:
State your name clearly for the record and indicate any related professional affiliation “My name is…”. State the purpose of your address, “I would like to…”.
Speak within the time allotted and ensure the information you provide is related to the item on the Agenda. “This concludes my comments Your Worship”, this advises the Council that you are finished your presentation.
When speaking at a Council-in-Committee meeting, use “Chair”, to directly address the Chair and “Councillor”, followed by their last name when addressing a Council member.
When speaking to Council, use “Your Worship”, “Mayor Martin” or simply “Madame Mayor” to directly address the Mayor and “Councillor”, followed by their last name when addressing a Council member.
The Mayor or Chair will invite Council members to ask any questions of you following your presentation. Again, you will address the Mayor or the Chair in your response, not individual Council members with “Thank you Your Worship” or “Thank you Chair, in response to Councillor ____’s questions, I can say”. If referring to a Council member, use their title, “Councillor”, followed by their last name.
Please ensure you answer the question as directed by Council and do not engage in a debate. If there are no further questions, the Mayor or Chair will thank you for your comments.
Some additional tips when presenting before Council:
Presentations should be concise and provide only the information required for Council to make an informed decision.
Stick to the most important messages, if there are other deputations for the same agenda item, avoid repeating the same information.
For more information on Council meeting procedure, please contact the Procedure By-law.