A Commissioner of Oaths, also known as Commissioner for Taking Affidavits, is not the same as Notary Public. A Notary Public has much broader authority. If your document requires the signature of a Notary Public, or you require certified copies of documents, then you will need to contact a lawyer or Notary.

The person signing the affidavit must appear before the Commissioner and must show proof of identity via Government issued photo identification such as a driver’s licence, health card or passport. The person signing the affidavit must sign the document in the presence of the Commissioner.

There is no guarantee that a document can be commissioned until the document is seen by the Commissioner.

The Commissioner cannot witness documents where there is a requirement to personally know the person for a certain length of time, i.e. Passport Guarantor.

What documents can or cannot be Commissioned


Documents we will Commission: Documents we cannot Commission:
  • Wills, Living Wills, Codicils to Wills or Estate Settlement documents
  • Power of Attorney
  • Divorce, separation, marriage or cohabitation documents
  • Custody documents
  • Documents related to debt
  • Real Estate documents
  • Court, Legal or Civil issue-related documents


Commissioning is available by ServiceNorfolk, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Cost: $21.05

Domestic and Foreign Pension document also known as Proof of Life

Commissioning of Foreign Pensions are free of charge, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., by the Deputy Clerk.

Appointments can be made by emailing [email protected] or calling 519-426-5870 or 226-NORFOLK ext. 1261.