Commemorative Bench Program
The Commemorative Bench Program allows the public to pay tribute to a loved one by donating and dedicating a park bench or tree on County property, including:
- Open spaces
- Port Dover Pier, along Harbour Street to Main Street
While paying tribute to individuals is important and may enhance one’s experience in a location, these areas are extremely important to all users. Therefore memorial benches should take into consideration the primary use of the space.
While many applicants may wish to install memorial benches in highly visible locations, or locations of significant importance, it should be noted that Norfolk County may be required to consider limitations or a moratorium on memorial bench installations in a particular place or alter the product available.
Maintenance should remain a primary concern with a thought to the future. In all cases, the County shall control the materials used to ensure suitable durability.
- Once a memorial bench is installed, it shall become the property of the County.
- The County reserves the right to relocate a memorial bench. In the event that relocation is deemed necessary, the County will use its best efforts to contact the donor for consultation prior to the move.
- Memorial benches will not be permitted for any pets or animals.
- Norfolk County reserves the right to refuse an application.
The full policy (POLICY #: OPS-01) can be viewed here.
Please return completed forms to [email protected]
The following memorial options will be permitted to be installed on property owned by Norfolk County as well Port Dover Pier as well as along Harbour Street to Main Street:
- Memorial Benches
- Memorial Bench Plaques for current benches
i. 10.5” x 3”, 4 lines, 28 characters
Fee Schedule – Memorial Benches/Plaques:
Prices include the purchase, plaque, placement and administration costs associated with the memorial bench on a per-bench basis. The style of the bench is determined by Norfolk County from the supplier and is subject to change depending on availability.
For current fees, please visit User Fees & Service Charges
The Norfolk County Memorial Bench Policy will be administered, through the Operations Divisions Parks Department. All inquiries regarding this policy and the placement of memorial benches should be directed to ServiceNorfolk at (519) 426-5870 Ext 0, or [email protected]
The Operations Divisions and Parks Department will receive applications through ServiceNorfolk for memorial options throughout the calendar year.The installation will occur in Spring and Fall in accordance with the following:
- Those wishing to purchase a memorial bench shall be required to complete the application in the form and submit it for approval.
- Payment in full is due with the submission of the form.
- Once the application has been submitted, staff will confirm with the applicant whether their application has been approved and update them on the approximate date of installation.
- The dedication plaque will be in the form set out in the application. No other types of plaques will be permitted.
- An application will not be deemed approved until the location and the wording of the memorial have been approved and payment has been processed in full.
- Once an application is approved and payment has been processed no further changes to the wording of the memorial will be permitted.
- Applications that are received and approved prior to April 1st in any calendar year will be installed no later than June 30th. (Note: last day of installation may be delayed due to inclement weather).
- Applications that are received and approved prior to August 1st in any calendar year will be installed no later than October 31st (note: last day of installation may be delayed due to inclement weather).
- Any application received and approved after the dates set out in sections 7 and 8 will be automatically moved to the next installation period.
- This policy will be reviewed and updated as required.