How should we be disposing of the empty paint cans, aerosol cans, and empty oil containers?

Empty paint and aerosol cans are accepted in the ‘Simple Sort’ recycling program in the tall box. Empty oil containers can be taken to a Household Hazardous Waste event, or put out in the regular garbage.


Norfolk County used to have a Bulky Pick Up Day every spring. What happened to it?

The Bulky Item Collection program has changed for 2021. Click here to learn more. 


My recycling box is broken or has been stolen. Is it possible to get a new one to replace my old one and where can I pick it up?

If you require a recycling box, you may request one be dropped off by your recycling driver by calling 519-426-5870 or 226-NORFOLK ext. 0 – or pick one up from the Simcoe Recreation Centre, 182 South Drive, Simcoe.
Fees for Recycling Boxes:
  • $12.75 for a small box
  • $13.50 for a tall box

If I have clean fill or contaminated soil, will the transfer stations around Norfolk County accept it?

The Simcoe Transfer Station and the South Walsingham Transfer Stations cannot accept clean fill or contaminated soil.


What can I do with old appliances that I wish to get rid of?

The Transfer Stations will accept old appliances. However, if they contain Freon, (Fridges, Air Conditioners, Dehumidifiers, etc.) it must be removed by a licensed technician and tagged prior to entering the landfill.


If I own a business, am I able to participate in the Household Hazardous Waste Days held by the County in the spring and fall?

The County will not accept hazardous materials from businesses. The household hazardous waste days are intended for households in Norfolk County to safely dispose of their wastes. Business can contact hazardous waste removal companies directly to deal with their special wastes or the supplier for disposal information.


If I have some needles & syringes (sharps) at my home. How can I dispose of them safely, other than at a Household Hazardous Waste Day?

In order to safely dispose of sharps, they should be placed in a sealed plastic container. All local pharmacies will take sharps for disposal. Sharps can also be disposed of at your local Household Hazardous Waste Days.


I placed my garbage at the curb on my regular pick-up day, and it did not get picked up?

It is possible that you missed the truck. Garbage collection begins at 7 a.m., so if your garbage was not at the curb by 7 a.m., the truck could have passed by. Also, please note that the garbage bag limit is 4 for residential and 8 for commercial. If you had more than the limit out for the garbage, some of it may have been left behind.


What can I do with my leaves, during the year when there isn't the scheduled fall leaf collection?

Your leaves should not be placed in the garbage because they can be composted at a more reasonable cost than other disposal methods. You can place your leaves in the biodegradable yard waste bags and they can be delivered to the Simcoe or South Walsingham Transfer Stations. Another option would be to mulch them and use them in your garden or use them in your backyard composter. Learn more about leaf and yard collection.


What do I do with my expired Child's Car Seat?

You can now recycle your child’s car seat.  There is a new program created by Green Propeller that takes expired car seats and dismantles them so that different components from the seat will be repurposed to make items such as tote bags, backpacks and reusable steel. In partnership with Co-operators Insurance they have started a pilot project where you can drop off your expired car seat and for a fee of $15.00 they will recycle the car seat. There are three locations in Brantford, 566 B West St., 2-1325 Clarence St S and 185 King George Rd. There are also collection sites in Hamilton, Burlington, Paris, Dundas, Guelph, Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge. Go to for more information.

What can I do with old clothing that my family no longer wears that I do not wish to keep?

Consider donating your clothing to local charities. Look in the yellow pages under second-hand stores, for local stores that accept used clothing. There are also large metal drop bins in most communities that accept used clothing. Also listed below are three charities that accept used clothing:

  • The Canadian Diabetes Association at 1-800-505-5525
  • Ontario Association for Community Living at 519-753-9211
  • Ontario Federation for Cerebral Palsy at 519-620-8237