Employment at Norfolk County
Job opportunities can be found within the following divisions:
- Office of the Chief Administrative Officer — Norfolk County Fire Services; Norfolk County Paramedic Services; Clerks and Bylaw; Human Resources; County Solicitor.
- Community Development — Planning Department; Building Department; Strategic Innovation and Economic Development Department; Heritage and Culture Department; Recreation Department.
- Corporate Services —Corporate Customer Service and Communications Department; Accessibility and Special Projects; Financial Management and Planning Department; Information Technology Department; Realty Services Department; Purchasing.
- Environmental and Infrastructure Services — Environmental Services; Engineering Department; Capital Planning and Delivery
- Operations — Facilities; Fleet; Marina; Parks; Roads.
- Health and Social Services — Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit; Haldimand-Norfolk Social Services; Haldimand-Norfolk Housing and Homelessness Prevention; Norview Lodge.
Norfolk County Public Library
Why work for Norfolk
Norfolk County strives to provide a work/life balance for all employees in regard to their hours of work. See below some of the options we provide:
Work from Home
- Norfolk County offers flexible work arrangements for eligible positions throughout the county. Our Work From Anywhere policy allows eligible employees to work from anywhere in the province of Ontario to perform their full or partial duties by electronic means at alternative, remote worksites such as the employee’s home, or another approved location.
- This means that should your position be eligible, and you have approval from your direct non-union supervisor you could be working remotely up to 5 days per week in the comfort of your own home.
Flexible working hours are offered to both full-time unionized and non-unionized employees to provide choices, as to when the work can best be performed to the mutual benefit of Norfolk County and the employee.
Eligible employees that work more than 7/8 hours on a particular day may bank the additional hours in excess, to be taken off at a later date.
- This flex time system can be used as time off or in cases of an emergency such as weather conditions, power outages, etc. at their supervisor’s approval.
Flexible hours are offered to staff on a case-by-case basis dependent on the departmental needs.
All staff are to work during the core hours identified for their position, however, their start and end times may differ depending on their needs as approved by their supervisor.
- This means, if eligible, you can start at 7:30 a.m. instead of 8:30 a.m. and therefore, end your day at 3:30 p.m. as opposed to 4:30 p.m.
Norfolk County offers many training opportunities for our staff who are looking to grow in their career, including:
Aspiring Leaders Workshop
This workshop is available to all staff and is an introduction to leadership for people who aspire to be a supervisor or a manager. This training enables staff to develop their understanding of what leadership is, and how they want to develop as leaders.
- All new Norfolk County supervisors participate in this mandatory training. It covers tactical management issues like performance and returns to work, as well as soft skills. This training is fully tailored to managing a team in Norfolk County. Once the training is complete, you will be well prepared for all Norfolk County’s processes within your new role.
- This annual program is open to all staff and focuses on providing employees with career and professional development support for developing leaders at all levels within the County. This program allows you to make meaningful connections within the organization and provides mentees with effective learning, growth and development opportunity. Learn from our senior leaders with real-life experience and applicable advice.
The wellness and health and safety of our employees are extremely important at Norfolk County. We have created initiatives across the corporation to help promote a healthy and safe environment, here are a few of them:
- Active People Promoting Lifestyle Enrichment (A.P.P.L.E.) is our staff committee that promotes wellness across the organization. They organize great events to help promote active and healthy lifestyles including “Walk-toberfest”, Activity Fest, and a yearly healthy lifestyle gift.
Psychological Health and Safety
- Norfolk County cares about our employees’ physical health and safety but also their psychological health and safety. This means preventing harm to mental health and promoting psychological well-being. We are always looking for ways to improve all thirteen factors in the workplace, so we encourage all staff to share their ideas
Employee Recognition Week
- Once a year, all staff who had reached a milestone in their career (e.g., 5 years, 10 years, etc.) are recognized during “Staff Recognition Week”. Employees are celebrated within their departments and long-tenured employees are invited to our Employee Recognition Dinner. Our employee’s contributions do not go unnoticed.
- Supervisors, directors, and managers throughout the corporation are provided “Thank You” cards to distribute to staff who have recently gone the extra mile to assist the department. Leaders are encouraged to hand out these cards when a verbal thank you is just not enough.
Inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility
Norfolk County is committed to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility throughout the Corporation.
Norfolk County is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and other equity-seeking groups. Norfolk County promotes representational and employment equity to serve and represent our communities well.Norfolk County promotes the independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity for persons with disabilities by ensuring the accessibility of our facilities and services. Accommodations, including alternative formats, are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. For more information or to request an accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Department at [email protected].
Boards and Committees — Volunteer Recruitment
Norfolk County residents and community members are invited to submit an application to serve as volunteers on boards and committees. Appointment terms will range from two to four years, depending on the Committees/Boards’ Terms of Reference. Contact the County Clerk’s Department at [email protected] for more information on each committee’s membership, mandates, proposed meeting schedule and the appointment process. For more information, including a list of the boards, application forms and application deadlines, visit Boards and Committees – Volunteer Recruitment.