Marriage Licence and Civil Ceremonies
Marriage Licence Requirements
A Marriage Licence can be issued only to the bride and/or groom.
- Both parties must sign the Marriage Licence Application form and use full legal name(s), not initials. The Marriage Licence Application form is available at the Norfolk County Administration Building in Simcoe, and the Delhi and Langton Satellite Offices.
- Both parties must provide proof of age by providing two pieces of identification (at least one of which must be photo identification) a Government Issued Birth Certificate, Change of Name Certificate, Valid Passport, Record of Immigrant Landing, Canadian Citizenship Card, Valid Health Card, Valid Driver’s Licence, Social Insurance Card.
- When issuing a Marriage Licence to only the bride or the groom, we require original identification from the list above for the absent applicant.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to be married in Ontario by licence or under the authority of the publication of banns without authorization or parental consent. Any person who is 16 or 17 years of age requires both parent’s consent. Please see the Clerk’s Office for the required documentation.
- If you have a Rural Address, you must provide your Lot, Concession and Township.
- If an applicant has been granted a divorce or annulment in Canada, the applicant is to file with the Issuer the original Decree Absolute or a Certificate of Divorce or a certified copy (obtainable from the Court where the Divorce was granted).
- If an applicant has been granted a divorce or annulment outside of Canada, the applicant must obtain authorization from the Office of the Registrar General. Information regarding this procedure may be obtained from the Issuer of
- Licence Fee – $118.00 cash or interact effective January 1, 2019.
- Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- A Marriage Licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of three months from the date of issuance.
- Due to the time involved in processing a marriage licence, applicants are requested to apply before 4:00 p.m.
- For further information, call the Clerk’s Office at 519-426-5870.
Registration of Marriage
Once married, the person who performed the marriage must provide the bride and groom with the “Record of Solemnization of Marriage” portion of the Marriage Licence and must forward the remaining portions of the Marriage Licence to the Office of the Registrar General for registration.
Certificate of Marriage
To apply for your marriage certificate, allow approximately 4 weeks from the date of marriage. You can apply on-line at ServiceOntario.ca.
Norfolk County Civil Marriage Ceremony
Norfolk County offers Civil Marriage solemnization. Read below for the guidelines. To book a civil ceremony, contact the Council Services office located at:
County Administration Building
50 Colborne Street South
Guidelines for Norfolk County Civil Marriage Ceremony
- Civil marriages will be conducted in the Council Chambers of the County Administration Building only subject to its availability during regular working hours.
- Civil marriages will be conducted by the Clerk or other designates appointed in writing by the Clerk subject to their availability.
- Scheduling of the civil marriage must be made with the Clerk or designates at least 4 weeks prior to the intended date for the ceremony at 519-426-5870
- A prearranged appointment and prior consultation meeting of the parties with the Clerk or designate is required at least 2 weeks prior to the intended date of the ceremony.
- A standard civil marriage ceremony, incorporating all mandatory declarations under the Marriage Act will be used at civil ceremonies
- Personal vows, in additions to the mandatory declarations, will be permitted subject to the approval of the Clerk.
- The solemnizer has the authority to refuse to perform a marriage ceremony if anyone in the wedding party (being the bride, groom, or witnesses) appears to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- The parties must supply an interpreter in the event that they do not speak English and require language assistance if the Clerk deems it necessary (the interpreter cannot be one of the witnesses).
- If there are reasonable grounds to believe a person lacks the capacity to marry by reason of mental disorder, a letter shall be required from a physician, parent or guardian as to the mental competency of the party.
- Witnesses for the purpose of signing the Registry of marriage, must be 14 years of age or older.
- No pictures shall be taken during the ceremony.
- Pictures may be taken during the signing of the Registry and the service may be video and audio taped discreetly.
- Flower arrangements or other decorations may be placed in the Council Chambers and must be removed immediately following the ceremony.
- Reaffirmation of vows will not be offered as part of this service
- The use of confetti, rice, bubbles, candles, incense, music, and similar items are prohibited within the County Administration Building and Governor Simcoe Square.
- A fee of $323.18 is payable to Norfolk County by cash or debit for this service.
Like us on Facebook at Norfolk County Clerk