Marriage License Requirements

  • A Marriage License can be issued only to the bride and/or groom.
  • Both parties must sign the Marriage License Application form and use full legal name(s), not initials.
  • Identification: Applicants must each provide two (2) pieces of government-issued identification. At least one of the documents must contain a current photo.  Health Cards, S.I.N. Cards, Study Permits and Work Permits will not be accepted. First name, last name and birth dates must match on both pieces of identification. Change of name certificates must also be provided if applicable. All identification must be original and valid (i.e. not expired).
    • Acceptable pieces of ID:
      • Birth certificate
      • Canadian Citizenship Card
      • Passport
      • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (cannot be accepted if Canadian Citizenship Card is also presented)
      • Citizenship Card from any country
      • Valid Drivers’ License
      • Government issued photo card
      • Permanent Resident Card

      * Identification must be in English or accompanied by a certified translation.

      Photocopies of identification will not be accepted. Documents laminated after issuance may not be accepted. If we are not confident of your age or identity, we may ask you for further proof. Please contact us if you are unsure if your ID is appropriate.

  • When issuing a Marriage License to only the bride or the groom, we require original identification from the list above for the absent applicant.
  • You must be at least 18 years of age to be married in Ontario by license or under the authority of the publication of banns without authorization or parental consent. Any person who is 16 or 17 years of age requires both parent’s consent. Please see the Clerk’s Office for the required documentation.
  • If an applicant has been granted a divorce or annulment in Canada, the applicant is to file with the Issuer the original Decree Absolute or a Certificate of Divorce or a certified copy (obtainable from the Court where the Divorce was granted).
  • If an applicant has been granted a divorce or annulment outside of Canada, the applicant must obtain authorization from the Office of the Registrar General. Information regarding this procedure may be obtained from the Issuer of
    Marriage Licenses.
  • License Fee – $165.00.
  • Available appointment times between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday.
  • A Marriage License is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of three months from the date of issuance.
  • Due to the time involved in processing a marriage license, applicants are requested to apply before 4:00 p.m.
  • For further information or to make an appointment, call the ServiceNorfolk at 519-426-5870 or 226-NORFOLK Ext 0.

Registration of Marriage

Once married, the person who performed the marriage must provide the bride and groom with the “Record of Solemnization of Marriage” portion of the Marriage License and must forward the remaining portions of the Marriage License to the Office of the Registrar General for registration.

Certificate of Marriage

To apply for your marriage certificate, allow approximately 4 weeks from the date of marriage. You can apply on-line at

Norfolk County Civil Marriage Ceremony

Norfolk County offers Civil Marriage solemnization. Read below for the guidelines. To book a civil ceremony, contact the Council Services office by calling 519-426-5870 or 226-NORFOLK Ext 6269.


Guidelines for Norfolk County Civil Marriage Ceremony

  • Civil marriage ceremonies may be performed in the Council Chambers of Norfolk County or another location within Norfolk County, subject to availability.
  • Civil marriages will be conducted by the Clerk or other designates subject to their availability.
  • Scheduling of the civil marriage must be made with the Clerk or designates at least four weeks prior to the intended date for the ceremony at 519-426-5870 or 226-NORFOLK Ext 6269.
  • A prearranged appointment and prior consultation meeting of the parties with the Clerk or designate is required at least two weeks prior to the intended date of the ceremony.
  • A standard civil marriage ceremony, incorporating all mandatory declarations under the Marriage Act, will be used at civil ceremonies.
  • Personal vows, in additions to the mandatory declarations, will be permitted subject to the approval of the Clerk.
  • The solemnizer has the authority to refuse to perform a marriage ceremony if anyone in the wedding party (being the bride, groom, or witnesses) appears to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • The parties must supply an interpreter in the event that they do not speak English and require language assistance if the Clerk deems it necessary (the interpreter cannot be one of the witnesses).
  • If there are reasonable grounds to believe a person lacks the capacity to marry by reason of mental disorder, a letter shall be required from a physician, parent or guardian as to the mental competency of the party.
  • Witnesses for the purpose of signing the Registry of marriage, must be 16 years of age or older.
  • Pictures may be taken during the ceremony and signing of the Registry and the service may be video and audio taped discreetly.
  • Flower arrangements or other decorations may be placed in the Council Chambers and must be removed immediately following the ceremony.
  • Reaffirmation of vows will not be offered as part of this service.
  • The use of confetti, rice, bubbles, candles, incense, music, and similar items are prohibited within the County Administration Building and Governor Simcoe Square.
  • A fee of $343.00 plus HST is payable to Norfolk County.