Based on the County’s annual budget, and the returned assessment roll, tax rates are established and billed against the rateable assessment for each property. Periodically, the County receives notifications from the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation and the Assessment Review Board to reduce and / or increase property assessment. After receiving the notification, Revenue & Tax Services then adjusts the tax account and notifies the applicable property owner accordingly. Adjustments involving current year assessment are made only after the final billing.
Reassessment occurs every four years at which time the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) sends a Notice of Assessment to each property owner. Assessment increases are phased in over four years. If you have any questions regarding this notice please contact MPAC directly at 1-866-296-6722, or their website at: www.mpac.ca.
Please see the Property Assessment page for more detailed property assessment information.
Property Tax Information
- Questions about your property tax can be e-mailed to: email@example.com or by phone (519) 426-5870 ext. 1666.
- Verbal property information is no longer generally available from the Tax Office, unless a Tax Certificate has been purchased in advance.
- Verbal updates following the issuance of a Tax Certificate will be available for three months to the firm to which the Tax Certificate was issued.
- The Tax Certificate can be a useful tool when used during the sale or purchase of property. In addition to taxes levied and outstanding, the Tax Certificate advises when property owners are enrolled in a program that requires some action prior to the closing date such as a pre-authorized payment plan or a tax deferral program. The Tax Certificate also identifies if the property owner has other debts to the municipality which are yet to be added to the tax roll.
- A minimum of three business days is required to issue a Tax Certificate.
- Property owners, who must supply proof of identity, or those who present a Power of Attorney or Authorized Representative form, may receive verbal tax account and property information. Conditions apply.
- Property owners may request a Statement of Account. Effective January 1, 2019, the fee for a tax statement is $8.00 per property, per year.
- Important: A Statement of Account does not provide the same information as an official Tax Certificate (see above).
- Fees may be applicable for other documents such as letters or account analysis.
- Effective January 1, 2019, the cost of a tax certificate is $55.00, payable to Norfolk County.
Please contact the Revenue & Tax Services Department if you have any questions.
50 Colborne Street South, Simcoe, Ontario N3Y 4H3
Tel: 519-426-5870 ext. 1666
Please see the Property Tax Due Dates & Payments page for detailed payment information.
2018 Tax Rates
|Class||General Tax Rate||Educational Tax Rate||Total Tax Rate|
For a detailed breakdown of property tax rates please see the Tax Rates page.
For a breakdown of how your tax dollars are spent, please see How Your Tax Dollars Work.
Tax Rates and Classes
Application and Policy Forms
Please see the Important Forms and Applications page for a list of all property tax related forms.