Norfolk County is updating its Official Plan pursuant to Section 26 of the Planning Act. The primary purpose is to conform to the Provincial Policy Statement, to implement the recommendations of the GROW Norfolk Study and its related components and to complete the municipal comprehensive review. The proposed changes will help ensure that the County adequately plans for growth. The future amendment will apply County-wide.
A public information centre is being held on:
Purpose: Norfolk County Official Plan Amendment
Date: Thursday, February 8, 2024
Time: 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. with a brief presentation at 4:45 p.m. and closing remarks at 6:15 p.m.
Location: Multipurpose Room, Talbot Gardens, 10 Talbot St N, Simcoe, ON
The Purpose and Effect of the Future Official Plan Amendment:
The future Official Plan Amendment (OPA) will be prepared in association with the County’s Municipal Comprehensive Review to bring the County Official Plan into conformity with the Provincial Policy Statement, to ensure that it has appropriate regard for matters of Provincial interest, and is consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement, 2020.
The effect of the proposed amendment to the Norfolk County Official Plan is to occur in two phases. The first phase is intended to include:
- Policy updates in relation to growth forecasts (population and employment), growth targets such as density requirements, and types of developments.
- Identify locations for settlement area boundary expansions (Urban Areas only in this phase) including updating policies and mapping schedules.
- Identify changes to Protected Industrial locations including updating policies and mapping schedules.
- Potential rationalizations of Urban Area boundaries to remove any land that would no longer be considered as part of an urban area and not developed for urban uses.
- Policy direction for the future planning, land use designation amendments and servicing strategies for any lands to be added to the settlement boundary.
- Policy updates related to requirements for new development within any new area.
- Implement other recommendations from the GROW Norfolk Study and municipal comprehensive review.
The second phase of the proposed official plan amendment is intended to include:
- Completion of Land Evaluation and Area Review with policy updates pertaining to a new land use designation such as rural land uses.
- Recommendations pertaining to hamlet settlement areas and rural lands.
- Recommendations regarding policies and land use designations pertaining to Natural Heritage features and Hazard Lands.
- Other Provincial Policy Statement conformity policy and/or schedule amendments.
Where to get more information?
Information about the Grow Norfolk Study and supporting documents can be found on EngageNorfolk.
Can’t make it in person?
We understand that busy schedules mean that this date and time may not work for everyone. Following the live public information centre, a video recording and a copy of the presentation will be available at https://engagenorfolk.ca/growth-management-study. You can also still contribute to this phase of the Grow Norfolk process by visiting the Grow Norfolk page on Engage Norfolk to access the materials and provide your feedback online. You can also provide written comment by emailing staff at [email protected] or mailing the Planning Department at 185 Robinson Street, Simcoe, Ontario, Canada, N3Y 5L6