Below are the answers to some of the most frequently-asked questions about Norfolk County’s services during the pandemic.

For information about what is – and isn’t – allowed under the Emergency Measures and Civil Protection Act, or by provincial or other order visit the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit FAQs :COVID-19 enforcement page.

Click here to learn more about the Roadmap to reopening Ontario issued.


     What is the contact information for Norfolk County information and services?

 You can reach the County through the following channels:

  • Phone: 519-426-5870
  • Health and Social Services: 519-426-6170
  • Email:
  • In-person services will be offered at Suite 100, 185 Robinson Street, Simcoe, Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm.  Active Covid-19 screening is mandatory to access in-person services. 

Permits and Licensing

     Can I still apply for a marriage licence?

  • Due to COVID-19 protocols, we are encouraging pre-arranged appointments to obtain a Marriage Licence.   
  • Appointments can be made by speaking with a ServiceNorfolk Agent by Email or by telephone 519-426-5870 ext. 0.
  • More information on Marriage Licences, the application form and required documentation can be found on the Marriage Licence and Civil Ceremonies Page.

      Where can I get a dog licence?

  • Dog licences are available at all Norfolk County Public Library locations and some area pet stores. Proof of spay/neuter and rabies vaccinations is required.


      What about business licencing?

  • Renewals and new applications will be accepted via mail or drop-off.
  • Please ensure the cheque is accompanied with the complete application. Allow 2-3 weeks processing. 
  • Email or call 519-426-5870 ext. 1357 for information

      Can I still book a civil marriage ceremony?

      Will I be able to obtain a burial permit?

  • Yes, burial permits can be obtained at the Robinson Administration Building through ServiceNorfolk or by contacting the Clerk’s office.
  • Email or or call 519-426-5870 ext. 6269 for information.

     Can I still get documents commissioned?

  • Commissioning Services are available by appointment only.  Please contact the Clerk’s office to book your appointment.
  • Email or call 519-426-5870 ext. 6269 for information.

      Can I still inquire about Freedom of Information and/or file a request?

  •  Freedom of Information requests and payments may be dropped off at the County Administration Building drop-box located beside the Council Chambers Entrance on the Talbot Street side of the building. 
  • For more information please contact Norfolk County’s Information and Privacy Coordinator by emailing or call 519-426-5870 ext. 1261

      Can I obtain a lottery license?


      Will By-Law Enforcement services continue?


  • Residents can report non-compliance with public health orders by calling 519-428-8019.
  • Please report all other matters using the By-Law Request for Information or Complaint Form 
  • For after-hours emergency assistance please contact 1-888-310-1122 (OPP)

Building permits and planning

      Can I still apply for building permits? Are inspections continuing?

  • The Building Department is closed to walk-ins until further notice.
  • Building applications can be submitted electronically to or in person at the Robinson Administration Building, Suite 100, 185 Robinson Street, Simcoe.
  • Building Permit Application Forms can be found on the Forms, Permits and Licence Application Page
  • Permits are being received, reviewed and issued by staff in the normal course. 
  • Inspections are being conducted with certain restrictions and appropriate measures taken for social distancing. 
  • To request an inspection, please email or call 519-426-5870 Ext. 4677 (INSP)
  • For all general Building inquiries please dial 519-426-5870 Ext. 6016 or email

     Can I still apply for planning permissions? Are pre-consultations occurring?


  • Please see the Planning Department webpage for further information about all planning processes and for staff contact information. 
  • Before any planning application is submitted, please contact the Planning Department to confirm processes and requirements for an application.  Planning applications may be submitted electronically to the applicable Planner or to
  • Pre-consultations are being held virtually twice per month on the second and fourth Wednesday of each month. Please email to inquire about pre-consultations.
  • For all general inquiries to planning please email

Provincial Offences Court

    Is the POA court house open?


  • The customer service desk at the Provincial Offences Office is open for in-person services at suite 100, 185 Robinson Street, Simcoe. 
  • All business may also be conducted via telephone or email – or by downloading forms online.
  • Additional information regarding POA can be found here.
  • Payments may be made online at
  • Email or dial 519-426-5870 ext. 2506 for information.


      Can businesses continue to submit bids on County procurement projects?

  • Bidders are advised that Norfolk County transitioned to a fully electronic bidding process to source for goods and services making it easy for vendors to review, register, download and submit bids online in one bidding system. 
  • This bidding process will continue through Norfolk County’s Bidding Opportunities website.  
  • For general inquiries, vendors may contact the Purchasing Department at or call 519-426-5870 ext. 2549.


      I am scheduled to make a delivery at a County building. Will deliveries still be accepted?

  • Deliveries can still be made to County buildings and contact information will be posted on the door.

Fire Department

      Can I burn yard waste?

  • Before calling 911 to report a grass fire or perceived illegal open-air burn, members of the public should consider the situation and make every reasonable effort to ensure they are reporting an actual emergency.
  • Responses to yard waste fires will be subject to either a cost recovery invoice of $486 per responding fire truck per hour and could result in charges under the Ontario Fire Code that carry maximum fines of $50,000 for individuals and $500,000 for corporations.
  • Burn permits can be obtained by speaking with a ServiceNorfolk Agent by calling 519-426-5870 ext 0 or emailing  Please allow 3-5 business days for the issuance of a burn permit.  
  • This Burning By-Law Quick Guide will help explain what is permitted and what is not.

Heritage and Culture

      Are museums open?

  • The Norfolk County Archives, Port Dover Harbour Museum, Waterford Heritage & Agricultural Museum, and the Delhi Tobacco Museum & Heritage Centre are open to the public with COVID-19 protocols in place.
  • To ensure the safety of staff and visitors, individuals are encouraged to pre-book their visit via  At this time, Provincial legislation does not require visitors to museums and archives to provide proof of vaccination.  Visitors are required to wear a mask.     
  • For information about programming, events, and exhibits please visit the museums’ and archives’ websites. Learn more here.



    Are trails open

  • Trails are open for passive use with social distancing requirements in place.

    Can I go to the park?

  • Parkland is open for passive use.
  • Access to playgrounds is permitted.

     Are other recreational amenities like basketball courts and soccer fields open for use?

  • Yes, they are open for recreational use only.

     Are arenas open?

  • Yes, Langton, Delhi, Waterford, Port Dover and Talbot Gardens Arenas are open. Please contact or call 519-426-5870 x. 2226 for more information or to book.

      Is the pool open?

  • Yes, we are! Please check out our website for additional information or call us at 519-426-8866 x 2233-Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. for Customer Service. 

     How do I apply for a refund for recreational programming?

  • Please contact Customer Service at 519-426-8866 x 2233 Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. – or email

     Will my Swim or Fitness Pass be extended?

  • Due to the requirement for pre-registration, membership and passcards are not being accepted at this time.

  • If you have a current pass card or membership card you can request to have a pro-rated credit for the remaining balance placed on your account to be utilized toward the purchase of swims.

  • Please contact our Customer Service Team at 519-426-8866 x2233 or email to request a balance transfer.

     Can I still make payments on outstanding accounts?

  • If you have a balance owing from purchases or services made before September 1, 2021, you will need to contact our  Customer Service Team at 519-426-8866 x 2233 or visit the Simcoe Recreation Centre at 182 South Drive, Simcoe, between the hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday for information on how to make these payments.
  • If you have an outstanding balance on our new ENCORE Program Registration & Facility Booking System, you can make your payments online by logging into your personal account.
  • Payments can also be made in person at the Simcoe Recreation Centre.

    Do I have to be vaccinated to enter Norfolk County Halls, Arenas and the Simcoe Recreation Centre?

  • Yes, As of September 22, 2021, the Province of Ontario will require members of the public to be fully vaccinated to access certain public settings, including recreation centres (O/Reg 645/21) Learn more.

Halls and community centres

     Are halls and community centres open?

  • Yes, County fun halls are open with restrictions in place.  Please contact or call 519-426-5870 x. 2226 for more information or to book.

Seniors Centre

     What is the status of the Simcoe Seniors Centre?

  • The Simcoe Seniors Centre has relocated to the Simcoe Recreation Centre.
  • On October 18, 2021, it reopened to its members.
  • Please call 519-426-8866 ext. 2888 for program or membership information.


     Am I permitted to visit cemeteries?

  • All cemeteries are open.

     A loved one has just passed away. How can I purchase a plot at Oakwood Cemetery?

  • Plot purchases can be arranged by dialing 519-426-5870 ext. 2214.

     Who do I contact to arrange a burial at Oakwood or other Norfolk County cemeteries?

  • For more information please dial 519-426-5870 ext. 2214.


     Can I visit the marina?

  • As of October 15, 2021, Port Dover Harbour Marina and Port Rowan Harbour Marina will be closed for the season.
  • Only winter patrons will have access to the Port Dover Harbour Marina.
  • Port Rowan Harbour Marina has no winter storage, but the ramp will stay open during off season.
  • Both marinas will reopen to the public on May 1, 2022. 
  • Learn more.


     Will Forestry Services be impacted?

  • Forestry services will continue to operate as usual, however, staff will be limiting in-person site meetings where possible.
  • For more information contact 519-426-5870 ext. 2224.


     Can I go hunting?

  • Norfolk County bush lots are open for public use and hunting.
  • You may hunt on your own private property or property you’ve been granted permission.
  • To find out more please contact Norfolk County directly at 519-426-5870 ext. 2200.

Ride Norfolk

     Is Ride Norfolk service impacted?

  • Ride Norfolk will continue to operate under the existing schedule. 
  • Face masks are mandatory while on board. 
  • For more information contact Ride Norfolk by email at or call 519-428-3178 or online at

     What are you doing to keep Ride Norfolk buses and bus shelters clean?

  • Vehicles have been stocked with face masks, disposable gloves, disinfectant spray and wipes. 
  • Buses will be wiped down at hourly intervals throughout the day.  All main touch surfaces such as railings, handles etc will be wiped down.
  • Please practice social distancing. Cough or sneeze into your elbow while on the bus or at the bus shelter.
  • In order to support social distancing, maximum capacity is every other seat.  If the vehicle is at ‘capacity’ you will need to wait for the next bus.
  • We ask that all passengers only travel if they are feeling well and only for the purpose of accessing essential services 

Garbage and recycling

     Is curbside garbage and recycling pick up impacted?

  • Curbside garbage and recycling collection services will not be impacted at this time and will continue to operate as usual using the following precautions: 
    • Do NOT place used rubber gloves, face masks, tissues and napkins, in your recycling box. These items should be placed in your GARBAGE. Wash your hands afterward.
    • Bag all waste. Do not place waste loosely in garbage containers
    • If you’re sick: place ANY item that has come into contact with your mouth, nose or eyes into the garbage – even items that you normally place into your Recycling Boxes (eg. water/beverage bottles, pop cans, milk/juice cartons, etc.)
    • All garbage must be bagged, including garbage in cans. Any garbage that isn’t bagged will not be collected.
  • Email or dial 519-426-5870 ext. 0 for more information.

     Are transfer stations still open?

  • Transfer stations in Simcoe and South Walsingham are open.
  • Masks must be worn at all times while on-site at any Norfolk County transfer station.
  • For hours, fees, locations and additional information visit the Transfer Station page.

Public Works

     Will road and sidewalk maintenance continue?

  • Road and sidewalk maintenance and repairs will continue as necessary.

     Will scheduled construction projects be impacted?

  • Construction projects will not be impacted and will continue as usual.

     How do I report an issue with a streetlight?

  • All Outages of Norfolk County streetlights should be reported to 1-855-647-6589 or
  • You must provide the Street Name, Town or Village, and SL# (which appears on the yellow plate located on all of our streetlight poles).
  • Standard repairs can take up to 30 days to complete.
  • Streetlight repairs have been scaled back to emergency repairs during this time. Emergency repairs will be, but not limited to – streetlight pole down, light fixture hanging, exposed wires, 5 consecutive lights or more that are out on a single street or an entire street like a cul-de-sac that may have less than 5 lights.
  • Single light outages on a street calls will be put on hold for the time being until we can resume operations as normal again.

     Are water and wastewater services impacted?

  • Water and Wastewater services will not be impacted and will continue to operate as usual.

     What if I am unable to pay my water and wastewater bill at this time?

     Wastewater reminders

While most of us are spending more time at home than usual due to COVID-19, nobody wants a situation that would force you out of your home where you are safest.  Our municipal sewer systems are built to handle human waste and toilet paper that is specifically designed to deteriorate quickly.  Anything else put down your toilet or sink can cause problems that lead to clogs, blockages and wastewater equipment damage, which could shut down sewer systems.

The following items should never be put down the toilet or sink:

  • Disposable/Flushable wipes
  • Floss
  • Tampons and feminine pads
  • Disposable diapers
  • Band-aids
  • Grease, oil and fat
  • Medication
  • Condoms
  • Hair
  • Kitty litter
  • Cotton balls and swabs
  • Cigarette butts


     Are Council meetings still taking place?


      How can I make a donation to assist Norfolk County's efforts in response to COVID-19?

  • Donations are appreciated and income tax receipts will be issued at year end for donations of $20 or more in accordance with Policy FS-07. Donations by cheque made payable to the Corporation of Norfolk County should be forwarded to County administration buildings listed.
  • Click here to make payments through Paypal 

Public Health 

     Where do I take my water sample?

  • Bottles can be dropped off at:

12 Gilbertson Drive
Simcoe, Ontario

Monday-Thursday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm

519-426-6170 (519) 426-6170, Ext. 3231 or Ext. 3245.

*Please note that samples are never accepted on Fridays or holidays.