January 17th, 2017 CALEDONIA, ON – January 15th to 21st, 2017 is National Non-Smoking Week. The Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit (HNHU) is commemorating National Non-Smoking Week by encouraging local smokers to quit.
The HNHU offers support and resources to help smokers in their quit attempts. These include:
- STOP Smoking Workshop: Adults (18+) can register for a STOP smoking workshop and receive 5 weeks of nicotine patches for free. Call the Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit to book an appointment at 519-426-6170 or 905-318-6623 ext. 3278
- Wouldurather: Young Adults (18 – 29) can register for the wouldurather… contest before January 22nd. Wouldurather is a contest where participants can win cash for quitting smoking, reducing their smoking, or remaining smoke free. Free Nicotine Replacement Therapy is available (while supplies last). Register at wouldurather.ca
“Quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do to improve your life and health,” said Darran Atrooshi, health promotor with the HNHU. “We thought we’d take this opportunity to remind those who smoke that they aren’t alone and there are options.”
National Non-Smoking week aims:
- To educate Canadians about the dangers of smoking
- To prevent people who do not smoke from beginning to smoke and becoming addicted to tobacco
- To help people quit smoking
- To promote the right of individuals to breathe air unpolluted by tobacco smoke
- To de-normalize the tobacco industry, tobacco industry marketing practices, tobacco products, and tobacco use
- To assist in the attainment of a smoke-free society in Canada
Visit hnhu.org for more information.
Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit
905-318-6623 Ext. 3364