As Norfolk County continues to monitor the anticipated severe weather disturbance and its potential impact, residents are reminded of the importance of preparing a 72 Hour Kit for use during an emergency. In order to be self-sufficient for at least 72 hours there are some basic supplies required.
A large plastic container with a lid is ideal storage for an emergency survival kit. This type of container allows for an air tight seal.
While individual family needs vary, a standard list of supplies should be gathered and stored within this container. These include:
- flashlight, radio and batteries
- first aid kit
- candles and matches/lighter
- extra car keys and small amount of cash
- copies of important papers (drivers licenses, birth certificates etc.)
- toilet paper
- diapers, formula, and other supplies for infants
- over the counter medication (ie: pain relievers)
- prescription medication and photocopies of your prescriptions
- sufficient water and food for a 3 day period (4 litres of water per person per day is recommended)
- food could consist of canned stews, beans, pasta, meat, vegetables and fruit, crackers and biscuits, honey, peanut butter, syrup, jam, sugar, instant coffee and tea
- knives, forks, spoons
- disposable cups and plates
- manual can opener, bottle opener
- fuel stove and fuel (never use a charcoal or gas barbeque in the house)
- if you have pets or animals, please remember to plan for their needs as well!
For further information contact:
Contact: Kandy A. Webb
Deputy Information Officer
519-426-5870 extension 1229