Leash Free Zones & Dog Parks
On May 28, 2013 Norfolk County Council approved the development of a leash-free dog park as a pilot project on the condition that a community support group is established to assist with its development with recommendations as follows:
- For “fenced” leash free dog park at Waterford’s Audrey S. Hellyer Park
Waterford, ON N0E 1Y0
- For”non-fenced” leash free dog park at Simcoe’s Don Shay Park
Norfolk County recognizes 2 styles of off-leash dog parks; fenced and non-fenced. The non-fenced dog parks require owners to have voice control over their dogs. Fenced dog parks typically provide for a separate fenced area for and/or elderly dogs.
There are no user fees for this program.
Rules and Regulations
- Dogs must be kept leashed until the off-leash area has been entered.
- Park users & dog owners assume all risks related to off-leash dog area usage.
- Poop n’ scoop is mandatory. All individuals must clean up after their dogs.
- Dogs must be wearing up to date vaccination and dog license tags.
- Female dogs in heat, and sick dogs are to be kept out of this area.
- All children under 12 yrs of age must be supervised by an adult while inside dog parks.
- No more than two dogs may be brought into the parks by an individual at the same time.
- No food (human & canine) permitted in the dog parks.
- Loose collars, dog clothing, and bandannas are not allowed in dog parks.
- Dog owners are subject to Ontario’s Dog Owner’s Liability Act and the Norfolk County Animal Control Bylaw.
- Durable tennis sized balls are the only toys permitted in the dog parks.
- Professional dog trainers are not permitted to use the dog parks for business purposes.
- All pit bulls must be muzzled.
- No smoking in dog parks.
- Dogs must be under control.
- Use the dog parks at your own risk.
For further information call 519-426-5870 x2216.
To report by-law infractions at the Dog Parks call 519-426-4377.