Civil Marriage Ceremonies
Guidelines for Norfolk County Civil Marriage Solemnization
- Civil marriages will be conducted in the Council Chambers of the County Administration Building only subject to its availability during regular working hours.
- Civil marriages will be conducted by the Clerk or other designates appointed in writing by the Clerk subject to their availability.
- Scheduling of the civil marriage must be made with the Clerk or designates at least 2 weeks prior the intended date for the ceremony.
- A prearranged appointment and prior consultation meeting of the parties with the Clerk or designate is required at least 1 week prior to the intended date for the ceremony.
- A standard civil marriage ceremony, incorporating all mandatory declarations under the Marriage Act will be used at all civil marriages.
- Personal vows, in addition to the mandatory declarations, will be permitted subject to the approval of the Clerk.
- The solemnizer has the authority to refuse to perform a marriage ceremony if anyone in the wedding party (being the bride, groom and witnesses) appears to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- The parties must supply an interpreter in the event that they do not speak English and require language assistance if the Clerk deems it necessary. The interpreter cannot be one of the witnesses.
- If there are reasonable grounds to believe a person lacks the capacity to marry, by reason of being mentally ill or mentally defective, a letter shall be required from a physician, parent or guardian as to the mental competency of the party.
- Witnesses for the purpose of signing the Registry of Marriage, must be 14 years of age or older.
- Pictures may be taken during the ceremony, when signing the Registry and the service may be video and audio taped discreetly.
- Flower arrangements or other decorations may be placed in the Council Chambers and must be removed immediately following the ceremony.
- Reaffirmation of vows will not be offered as part of this service.
- The use of confetti, rice, bubbles, candles, incense, music and similar items are prohibited within the County Administration Building and Governor Simcoe Square.
- A fee of $254.25 (including taxes) is payable to Norfolk County by cash or debit for this service.