Economic Development Strategy
Norfolk County’s Tourism & Economic Development Division undertook the strategic planning process to help better define the Norfolk County business community, identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of the local economy, create partnerships, identify new initiatives in Norfolk County’s target industries, and update the municipality’s economic goals and objectives.
The implementation of this Strategy will require that the entire community (Norfolk County’s Council, Municipal Administration, and local community stakeholders) take ownership of the Strategy. This means becoming engaged and responsible for developing and executing a work plan aimed at diversifying and sustaining Norfolk County’s local economy.
The Economic Development Strategy was adopted by Norfolk County Council in December 2011.
- Norfolk County Economic Development Strategy
- Ranking of Themes and Actions
- Situational Analysis
- Presentation to Council-in-Committee
Unify the County with a strong vision and direction for future community growth and identity development.
- Make economic development a County priority.
- Nurture and grow Norfolk County’s emerging industries to strengthen and help diversify the County’s local economy.
- Strengthen Norfolk County’s networking capacity, increase collaboration, and grow partnerships.
- Provide support for Norfolk County’s traditional industries.
- Draft implementation framework feedback document prepared and circulated to stakeholders
- Additional input, further to first-round input assembled by the consultant (see process below), was gathered at the stakeholder meeting on April 18, 2012, and from the Tourism & Economic Development Advisory Board and the Agricultural Advisory Board
- Next step: Develop Implementation Framework
- Seek Approval from Norfolk County Council
Process to Date
- Economic Development Strategy process launched
- Online survey (#1) of stakeholders
- Individual stakeholder interviews began
- Agricultural Advisory Board & Agri-Focus Group meeting
- Arts, Culture, Heritage, Tourism & Culinary Focus Group meeting
- Development Coordinating Committee meeting
- Norfolk County Tourism and Economic Development Staff meeting
- Arts & Culture meeting
- Parks & Recreation Focus Group meeting
- Youth Focus Group meeting
- Small Business, Downtown Merchants, BIAs, Chambers, Board of Trade, NDBDC meeting
- Individual stakeholder interviews continue
- Online survey (#2) of stakeholders
- Comments and feedback summarized
- Draft Strategy circulated
- Priorities survey of stakeholders
- Priorities Implementation Focus Group meeting
- Final Strategy delivered
- Council adopts Strategy
January – March 2012
- Implementation framework prepared
- Additional consultations with Advisory Boards, individual stakeholders
- Community Stakeholder Priorities & Options meeting
- Corporate Leadership Team reviewAgricultural Advisory Board review
- Senior Leadership Team review
- Tourism & Economic Development Advisory Board review
- Individual stakeholder consultations
- Presentation of Implementation Framework to Council
For more information about economic development in Norfolk County, visit www.norfolkbusiness.ca.